Monday, August 31, 2015

The Importance of Writer Friends

Confession time: I don't like making new friends.

That doesn't mean I'm not good at it. I'm actually pretty good at making friends. It's easy for me to strike up conversation with people. I'm skilled at making fast friends.

But I don't like it. 

I have fantastic friends. I really do. I have wonderful, fun, supportive, caring friends. I'm happy with them. I don't ever feel like I need new ones. But there is one problem.

For the most part, they don't write.

Now I don't say that to criticize my friends. As I've said, they're fantastic. But there's something to be said for having friends who share your interests, studies, and goals. 

I recently adjusted my college course plan to include an English major with a concentration in creative writing and I couldn't be happier with my decision. My classes consist of a few literature classes and a few writing classes and I love it. Finally, my school work is intended to prepare me for what I absolutely love to do. 

But by far the best part of the new classes is the students. Everyone around me has the same goal. We all write. We all hope to get published. We all enjoy reading and writing and don't consider any one work to be better than another. It is only my second week of classes, and I've already had so many good conversations about books, about writing, about publishing, about all of it. These people get it. These people get me.

Before now, I had one friend who is a serious writer and she is amazing. What's even more amazing is now I have multiple friends like her. 

I may have amazing friends who are supportive, but as a writer, there is nothing more valuable than having writer friends. Seek out those writer friends, even if you hate making friends. You will not regret it.

KMG

No comments:

Post a Comment