Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Go to a Writers Conference (Yes, Seriously)

Hello all!

So last month I attended a writer's conference at a local university. 

Let me be honest here: This was my first writers conference. I know, I know, I've heard all the advice from literally everyone in the writing/publishing world about how you should go to writers conferences, but I never really thought it was necessary. I didn't see what I could possibly gain from going.

But then the school I work for offered to let me go and take students with me (side note: I run a creative writing club and they thought it would be a cool field trip). So I did. I took students with me and we went. It was a two day conference and let me tell you something:

It was worth it.

I say that as possibly the biggest skeptic of those kinds of things. I couldn't see spending hundreds of dollars on a two day event to hear everything I've already learned from research. And I did hear a lot of repeated information, but I also heard a lot of new things.

It was fun, first of all, just to talk with other writers. It's very affirming to feel like what you love matters (because it does) and getting to share that excitement with people who feel the same way. It's also cool because you get writing prompts and learn new tricks for writing. I met some pretty cool professors and local authors who are "living the dream," so to speak. I made contacts I didn't think I could ever make until after I was published.

And I had fun

This conference was modestly priced and I don't think I would attend one of the pricier ones simply because I don't make enough to throw money at stuff like that. But I would definitely go again. I got so much inspiration about my completed novel, my WIP, and some new ideas. I heard some things that I had learned be reinforced. I chatted with groups of people who gave me new insight on old problems. I got to watch my students soak up every minute and talk excitedly about it afterward. I also felt affirmed as a writer.

As a result, I can now add to my creds that I attended a writers conference. I joined a writers organization during the conference (also on my creds). And the major breakthrough I had with edits for my completed novel cannot be understated. 

So as a major skeptic of writers conferences, let me tell you: 

Go to a writers conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment